[Samba] Computer accounts belonging to groups, using winbind on file server

Jonathan Hunter jmhunter1 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 19:18:28 UTC 2016

Thank you Rowland, I like your thinking - made sense to me.

I had already allocated a GID to Domain Computers:

[root at fileserver ~]# getent group Domain\ Computers
domain computers:x:12345:

however I just now tried adding a uidNumber attribute to one of my computer
objects using ADSIEdit and hey presto, that computer now appears in 'getent
passwd'!

I wonder if there is some fix that could be made on the samba side - I
don't know exactly how if I'm honest.. but for every domain computer I will
now have to:
- manually add a uidNumber attribute
- manually reset the AD attribute containing the max uidNumber allocated,
so that ADUC doesn't duplicate UIDs

That'll work - and I'm happy to do that in my case as it will work around
the issue (thank you!!) but it doesn't seem to be the best replacement for
the MS behaviour of just adding a computer object to a group, and that's it
:) But at the moment I can't think of what we might be able to do better?

Many thanks for the pointer,

Jonathan