[Samba] drs showrepl - Failed to bind to UUID - Undetermined error

Jonathan Hunter jmhunter1 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 15:28:37 UTC 2016

Thanks Andrew.

No - it was my fault for including an easily-solved side query in the same
email as the main query.. :) I haven't solved the original issue, which is
that 'samba-tool drs showrepl' runs on two of my DCs but not on the third.

I don't know if anything else also doesn't work, e.g. some aspect of
replication I haven't observed yet - but the only problem I can actually
see is that 'samba-tool drs showrepl' doesn't run on this one DC.

You ask a good question in terms of removing the DC that died. I think I
probably did not do this step correctly. I had two DCs die within a short
time of each other (disk issues) and I built new machines and simply joined
them to the domain 'over the top', using the same name and IP address as
previously. I now realise that this might not have been the best idea, as
they would now have new UUIDs and I have done nothing much to remove the
old UUIDs, apart from removing them from DNS/LDAP where I found them.
Perhaps I should have explicitly removed the DCs, before re-adding them? I
may well not have removed them fully myself.

Is there an easy place in AD where these UUIDs are stored - I'm happy to go
through and remove stale entries myself using ADSIEdit or similar? Or would
you recommend I temporarily remove each DC in turn using the demote tool,
then re-add? (Would the demote tool remove *all* UUIDs from the DCs, or
only the first one?)

Is there some form of AD-checker tool, perhaps (either MS or Samba) that
would check all the various LDAP entries, DNS entries (_msdcs, _sites,
_tcp, _kerberos etc.) and point out what I have wrong? :-)

At the moment I guess there might be multiple UUIDs somewhere in the
directory for this one DC, which might be why 'samba-tool drs showrepl'
chokes. There may well be multiple UUIDs for my other server that died,
too, but perhaps the first one that is returned from LDAP for that other
server is the current one, which is why 'samba-tool drs showrepl' works on
that?

Many thanks,

Jonathan

--
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research,
would it?"