[Samba] Not authenticating on Slackware domain member

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Sep 9 14:11:45 UTC 2016

On Fri, 09 Sep 2016 09:44:23 -0400
Mark Foley via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I've found that in Slackware none of the programs are built for PAM.
> For example
>
> ldd /bin/login
>
> shows no libpam.so.0. Likewise for su, samba, sshd, and basically
> everything.
>
> For whatever reason, Slackware doesn't believe in PAM. Does AD
> login/authentication from a domain member absolutely *require* PAM?

Well, this is Linux and anything is possible.
The only problem is that pretty much every document you will find
about authenticating to a Samba AD DC, will rely on PAM.

I always thought the whole idea behind distros, is to make things
easier for the users of the distro, Slackware seems take another view,
without, it would seem, providing documentation on how to do (for
instance) what PAM does without PAM.

Rowland