[Samba] Migrating samba4 dc from an instance with static/external dns to a fresh install with dynamic/internal dns

Lukasz Zalewski l.zalewski at qmul.ac.uk
Thu Sep 8 10:50:20 UTC 2016

> On 8 Sep 2016, at 11:34, Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 07:19:34 +0000
> Lukasz Zalewski via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I want to migrate our existing samba4 dc with a static/external dns
>> backend, to a new install with internal dynamic dns backend.
>>
>> Given:
>> DC1 - existing samba4 dc with static/external dns running quite old
>> build (to be updated to version 4.3 before the migration starts) DC2
>> - new samba4 dc with internal dynamic dns (running 4.3 version)
>>

> Transfer all FSMO roles to DC2, demote DC1, turn off DC1, re-install
> DC1 with a different name, join it as a new DC.

Hi Rowland,
My plan is to completely retire DC1 after this migration is completed.

What I’m not sure is how to perform the initial joining of the DC2 given the current dns set-up.

Do I just join DC2 to the domain using samba-tool domain join
and then manually add the missing dns domain records (for bot DC1 and DC2) to DC2’s dns?
Would that be enough?

My ultimate goal is to move the data over from DC1 to DC2 and also convert from the static/external dns set up to the internal/dynamic one.

Regards

Lukasz