[Samba] Migrating samba4 dc from an instance with static/external dns to a fresh install with dynamic/internal dns

Lukasz Zalewski l.zalewski at qmul.ac.uk
Thu Sep 8 07:19:34 UTC 2016

Dear list,

I want to migrate our existing samba4 dc with a static/external dns backend, to a new install with internal dynamic dns backend.

Given:
DC1 - existing samba4 dc with static/external dns running quite old build (to be updated to version 4.3 before the migration starts)
DC2 - new samba4 dc with internal dynamic dns (running 4.3 version)

What is the best way to do such migration?

Would I provision DC2 with the same sid as the DC1, join DC1 to DC2, let the replication do its job, then demote/remove DC1 and afterwards manually add the missing dns records to DC2, or is there a better way to do it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Lukasz