[Samba] Winbind / Samba auth problem after username change

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Sep 7 11:47:45 UTC 2016

On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 11:20:54 +0000
Julian Zielke <jzielke at next-level-integration.com> wrote:

See inline comments:

> - It really ends in local. So I guess I can leave this one.

If AVAHI is running on any Unix machines, it can get in the way, so as
I said, you would be advised to turn it off.

> - I've corrected the double entry in nsswitch.conf
>
> The command returns:
> # getent passwd | grep ren_test
> ren_test4:*:12521:10513:ren_test4:/home/NLI.LOCAL/ren_test4:/bin/bash
>
> What I copied into the message before was our object directly from
> the DC. I thought you said "ldapsearch", not ldbsearch ;-)
>
> Well here's the ldbsearch result (hopefully I did it the right way):
> # ldbsearch -H /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb -b 'dc=nli,dc=local' -s
> sub '(&(samAccountType=805306368)(samaccountname=ren_test))' #
> returned 0 records # 0 entries
> # 0 referrals
>
> Even when I do it without any subcommand it returns 0 records:
> ldbsearch -H /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb -b 'dc=nli,dc=local'
> # returned 0 records
> # 0 entries
> # 0 referrals
>
> Dunno whether this now points to an error in my configuration or not.

Possibly not, '/var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb' is the path to 'sam.ldb'
if you compile Samba yourself. It may (and probably will be) in a
different place if you are using OS packages
i.e. /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb on debian

You should also replace 'rowland' with the full user logon name.

Rowland