[Samba] Winbind / Samba auth problem after username change

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Sep 6 15:07:49 UTC 2016

On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 14:56:20 +0000
Julian Zielke <jzielke at next-level-integration.com> wrote:

> OK, I've commented out that line, leaving only:
>
> > idmap config mydomain : backend = rid
> > idmap config mydomain : range = 16777216-33554431
>
> in the config file.
>
> Also I did a net cache flush and deleted the database files
> at /var/lib/samba. Still nothing...same old username when querying
> the new one using getent passwd. I noticed the user having an ID of
> 4294967295 which exceeds the limit in the config file. Is this
> normal? Also I created a new domain user which could log in, changed
> the name and the same happened.

So, 'getent passwd oldusername' produces a result, so where is it
coming from ?

Have you checked /etc/passwd ?

What is in the 'passwd' and 'group' lines in /etc/nsswitch.conf ?

You say that this computer is using winbind and not sssd, if so, can I
suggest you have a look here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_Samba_as_an_AD_Domain_Member

Rowland