[Samba] [samba] Fileserver, AD, ACLs

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Sep 5 14:38:02 UTC 2016

On Mon, 5 Sep 2016 15:06:58 +0200
mathias dufresne via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> [...]
> [global]
>         workgroup = AD
>         realm = AD.DOMAIN
>         netbios name = SMBFS20
>
>         security = ads
>         client ldap sasl wrapping = seal
>         ldap server require strong auth = allow_sasl_over_tls
>         client use spnego = yes
>         client ntlmv2 auth = yes
>         client ipc signing = mandatory
>         client ipc min protocol = SMB2_10
>         server signing = mandatory
>
>         kerberos method = secrets and keytab
>         dedicated keytab file = /etc/smbfs20.keytab
>
>         disable spoolss = yes
>         load printers = no
>
>         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>         log level = 1
>
>         # Set to NO as we use NTFS
>         acl_xattr:ignore system acls = yes
>         vfs objects = acl_xattr
>         map acl inherit = yes
>         store dos attributes = yes
>         inherit permissions = yes
>
>         # Important: The ranges of the default (*) idmap config
>         # and the domain(s) must not overlap!
>
>         # Default idmap config used for BUILTIN and local
> accounts/groups idmap config *:backend = tdb
>         idmap config *:range = 2-9
>
>         # idmap config for domain AD
>         idmap config AD:backend = ad
>         idmap config AD:schema_mode = rfc2307
>         idmap config AD:range = 2000-99999999999
>
>         # Use settings from AD for login shell and home directory
>         winbind nss info = rfc2307
>         allow trusted domains = yes
>
>         template shell = /bin/false
>         winbind refresh tickets = yes
>         winbind use default domain = true
>         winbind offline logon = false
>
>         # to be removed in PROD for perofrmance reasons
>         winbind enum users  = yes
>         winbind enum groups = yes
>
>         log level = 1 passdb:5 winbind:5 auth:6
>         syslog = 9
>         syslog only = yes
>
> #============================ Share Definitions
> ==============================
> [PTA_test]
>    path = /srv/PTA_test
>    writable = yes
>
> Using https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Shares_with_Windows_ACLs, we
> would like to create a share with Windows (extended) ACLs.
>
> As we are using "acl_xattr:ignore system acls = yes" I initially
> thought that only system rights (UGO, no ACL) are taken in account by
> samba to check if it can write.
> According to that forcing 777 on the share didn't same a so bad idea:
> everybody can do anything but before accessing the folder itself (and
> UNIX rights) Samba is there to verify who can act on these files
> according to Windows ACLs.
>
> But with this smb.conf, this share in 777, "Domain users" set in full
> control on the share level and read and execute on security level, my
> domain users are able to create directories.
>
> Once I change this 777 unix mode into 770 my "Domain users" only
> users lost access to the share.
>
> Obviously we are missing something, someone has a lead to help us?

There appears to be a problem, see here:

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2016-August/115779.html

There doesn't seem to be a great problem with your smb.conf, but I am a
bit puzzled about one part of it:

        # Default idmap config used for BUILTIN and local accounts/groups
        idmap config *:backend = tdb
        idmap config *:range = 2-9

How do you get all the well-know SIDs into 8 IDs ? and what about the
Unix local users & groups that use those IDs ?

Rowland