[Samba] Segmentation fault in samba_upgradedns - Samba 4.4.5

Cameron Murdoch cam at macaroon.net
Thu Sep 1 12:31:57 UTC 2016

On 1 September 2016 at 13:15, Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org
> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 12:24:38 +0100
> Cameron Murdoch via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having the following issue when trying to switch from
> > samba_internal to bind9_dlz. I have been following the procedure here:
> >
> > https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Changing_the_DNS_backend#
> > Changing_from_Samba_Internal_DNS_to_BIND_DLZ
> >
> > I get the following:
> >
> > [root at dc2 ~]# /usr/local/sbin/samba_upgradedns --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ
> > Reading domain information
> > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> >
> > The system is running Freebsd 11.0-RC2. I have two domain controllers
> > and I am attempting this on one of them whilst the other is still
> > running.
> >
> > Filesystem is zfs.
> >
> > Both DCs are running Samba 4.4.5 and are otherwise running well.
> >
> > Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Cameron
>
> I take it you have installed a compatible version of bind9, it is set
> up correctly and it isn't running.
>
> After it prints 'Reading domain information' the script gets info by
> reading smb.conf etc, it then goes on to check a few things before
> (normally) printing 'DNS accounts already exist'
>
> So as you don't get the last message, it seems likely the problem lies
> in the block of code between the messages.
>
> Can you post the smb.conf from the DC you are trying to upgrade
> What version of bind are you using ?
> can you also post your Bind conf files
>
> Rowland

I have  BIND 9.10.4-P2 installed; I believe that it is setup correctly, and
it is not running.

smb.conf:
# Global parameters
[global]
        netbios name = DC2
        realm = MBOK.CO.UK
        workgroup = MBOK
#       server services = -dns ## This is to uncomment once switched to
bind.##
        idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
        dns forwarder = 192.168.50.5
        nsupdate command = /usr/local/bin/samba-nsupdate -g

        vfs objects = zfsacl
        store dos attributes = Yes
        ea support = yes
        map acl inherit = Yes

        ## Usee nfsv4 acls
        ##  => See README.nfs4acls.txt for more information
        ## Use OWNER@ and GROUP@ special IDs
        nfs4:mode = special
        ## Merge duplicate ACEs
        nfs4:acedup = merge
        ## Enable changing owner and group
        nfs4:chown = yes

[netlogon]
        path = /var/db/samba4/sysvol/mbok.co.uk/scripts
        read only = No

[sysvol]
        path = /var/db/samba4/sysvol
        read only = No