[Samba] Segmentation fault in samba_upgradedns - Samba 4.4.5

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Sep 1 12:15:35 UTC 2016

On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 12:24:38 +0100
Cameron Murdoch via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having the following issue when trying to switch from
> samba_internal to bind9_dlz. I have been following the procedure here:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Changing_the_DNS_backend#
> Changing_from_Samba_Internal_DNS_to_BIND_DLZ
>
> I get the following:
>
> [root at dc2 ~]# /usr/local/sbin/samba_upgradedns --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ
> Reading domain information
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> The system is running Freebsd 11.0-RC2. I have two domain controllers
> and I am attempting this on one of them whilst the other is still
> running.
>
> Filesystem is zfs.
>
> Both DCs are running Samba 4.4.5 and are otherwise running well.
>
> Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Cameron

I take it you have installed a compatible version of bind9, it is set
up correctly and it isn't running.

After it prints 'Reading domain information' the script gets info by
reading smb.conf etc, it then goes on to check a few things before
(normally) printing 'DNS accounts already exist'

So as you don't get the last message, it seems likely the problem lies
in the block of code between the messages.

Can you post the smb.conf from the DC you are trying to upgrade
What version of bind are you using ?
can you also post your Bind conf files

Rowland