[Samba] UID mapping inconsistent. - Samba 3.6.24/25

Robert Martel r.martel at csuohio.edu
Fri Oct 28 19:34:52 UTC 2016

Yes, I know that version is obsolete and as soon as I can actually get
the later versions of Samba to run and behave on my Solaris 10 boxes i
will upgrade.

AD member servers.  Using rid to map UID numbers as not available from
our AD folks.

Two of the machines are going on their merry own way rather than
creating the same UID numbers for AD users that other samba servers are
using.

On two 3.6.2x machines this works peachy keen:

    winbind use default domain = yes
    template homedir = /home/%U
    template shell = /usr/bin/bash
    idmap config * : backend = tdb
    idmap config * : range =  10000-99999
    idmap config CSUNET:  default = yes
    idmap config CSUNET:  backend = rid
    idmap config CSUNET:  range =  2000000-19999999

    winbind enum users = no
    winbind enum groups = no
    winbind use default domain = yes
    winbind nested groups = Yes
    allow trusted domains = no

user in question gets UID 2091888.  He gets same UID on linux machine
running Samba 4.2.10-Debian and a different Solaris machine running
Samba 4.4.6

On two other production machines he gets
10420 one one and  10389 on the other.

I do not understand why UIDs are being pulled from the "*" section and
not the "CSUNET" section as they should be.

Any thoughts on this...other than upgrade Samba that is.

Thank you
Bob

Robert M. Martel                 I met someone who looks a lot like you
System Administrator             She does the things you do
Levin College of Urban Affairs   But she is an IBM
Cleveland State University                           -Jeff Lynne
(216) 687-2214
r.martel at csuohio.edu