[Samba] How to move DC to other Server

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Thu Oct 27 14:13:21 UTC 2016

On Thu, 27 Oct 2016, Dirk Laurenz via samba wrote:

> i want to move my DC from an amd64 debian jessie to a armhf debian jessie. My
> first guess is to demote the dc and rejoin the new server.
>
> Der DC has all FSMO roles and is part of a three DC setup.

If you have 3 DCs, you can just replace them one at a time.  I would do it
like...

1. Shut down 03 (demote first if possible), replace it with a new server
    with the same name and IP, then rejoin it as a new DC.
2. Transfer FSMO roles to 03, then shut down 01.  If you want to be extra
    cautious, leave it down for a day or two to make sure there are no issues.
3. Replace 01 the same way, then move the FSMO roles back to it.
4. Replace 02 the same way.