[Samba] define share without name

Harry Jede walk2sun at arcor.de
Sun Oct 23 14:06:14 UTC 2016

On 15:52:26 wrote Sampei via samba:
> With Samba 4.2.10 I wish to create one folder share so that Windows
> clients can access to it by typing only the IP address or netbios
> name of server, e.g. \\10.56.23.22 and the window will show
> immediately file list. I read Samba doc and it’s necessary to define
> every share by symbol "[ section ]” but if I defined [test] share I
> woull access to it by typing \\ 10.56.23.22\test and this one it’s
> not my scope. Suggestions please?
may be RT(F)M helps:

       default service (G)

           This parameter specifies the name of a service which will be connected to if the service actually requested cannot be
found.
           Note that the square brackets are NOT given in the parameter value (see example below).

           There is no default value for this parameter. If this parameter is not given, attempting to connect to a nonexistent
service
           results in an error.

           Typically the default service would be a guest ok, read-only service.

           Also note that the apparent service name will be changed to equal that of the requested service, this is very useful
as it
           allows you to use macros like %S to make a wildcard service.

           Note also that any "_" characters in the name of the service used in the default service will get mapped to a "/".
This
           allows for interesting things.

           Default: default service =

i.e.
# grep 'default service' /etc/samba/smb.conf
	default service = ftp

$ smbclient  -U %  -c 'ls ' //192.168.231.254/

$ smbclient  -U %  -c 'ls ' //192.168.231.254/.
Domain=[KRONPRINZ] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.5.6]
  .                                   D        0  Tue Apr 26 18:10:21 2016
  ..                                  D        0  Tue Dec 10 10:56:46 2013
  win7_fix.cmd                               188  Tue Jan 20 13:42:24 2015
  hjede.wab                               214315  Wed Feb  3 13:49:51 2010

So smbclient requires the share name '.', may be windows clients don't

--

Gruss
	Harry Jede