[Samba] Bind_DLZ and two AD DC

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Oct 21 21:29:43 UTC 2016

On Fri, 21 Oct 2016 21:58:51 +0100
Alex Crow via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> >> Simple answer - Yes, all your DCs need to run the same DNS
> >> implementation. Mixing is not supported. You can convert your DCs
> >> at any time but it's probably better to decide before deployment.
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >>
> >> Alex
> > Alex, I am a Bit perplexed here, you seem to be replying to posts
> > that have never been posted to the list and whilst they are sort of
> > relevant to the subject, they should have been in their own separate
> > subject.
> >
> > Rowland
> >

> Not sure I understand. I was looking at the list for replies to my
> problem and while I was doing it I saw some posts to the list, that I
> thought I could help with. Everything I've replied to has been on-list
> and posted back to it.
>
> I'm pretty sure I didn't change the subject back to my subject when I
> helped these people. Did you make sure your email client is working
> OK? Or maybe my reply settings are not correct?
>
> In fact on the subject "Bind_DLZ and two AD DC" you replied just
> before I did.
>
> Are you in fact annoyed that someone outside of the Samba team helped
> out a user? Do I have to wait for an official Samba person to reply
> and approve before I answer someone's query?
>
> I am just trying to contribute as I've been asking a lot of the list
> today and believe in give and take.
>
> Best regards.
>
> Alex
>

> --

No, I am not annoyed, don't ever think that, I just couldn't
understand why you were replying to seemingly non existing posts. If
you look here:

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2016-October/thread.html

This is the Samba archive list for this month and at the bottom is
this:

 [Samba] Bind_DLZ and two AD DC   Bob of Donelson Trophy
    [Samba] Bind_DLZ and two AD DC   Rowland Penny
        [Samba] Bind_DLZ and two AD DC   Bob of Donelson Trophy
    [Samba] Bind_DLZ and two AD DC   Alex Crow
        [Samba] Bind_DLZ and two AD DC   Bob of Donelson Trophy
        [Samba] Bind_DLZ and two AD DC   Alex Crow
            [Samba] Bind_DLZ and two AD DC   Alex Crow
            [Samba] Bind_DLZ and two AD DC   Rowland Penny
            [Samba] Bind_DLZ and two AD DC   Alex Crow

As you can see, the two posts you replied to, are not there.

Now, I don't mind you answering posts, after all, who am I to say
who answers posts and who doesn't, but where did they come from ? This
is what is perplexing me.
Did the person post to the list and also cc you, but the person hasn't
registered to post on here?
No matter why the posts don't appear in the archive, common posting
etiquette says they should have started a new thread instead of
hijacking this thread.

If you think you can help someone, then please do, also if you think I
am getting at you, please don't think this, I am definitely not and if
I have come across in this way to you, then I apologise for any upset I
may have caused you.

Rowland