[Samba] Bind_DLZ and two AD DC

Bob of Donelson Trophy bob at donelsontrophy.net
Fri Oct 21 18:26:28 UTC 2016

My first Active Directory setup had two DC's and shortly after getting
things going the second DC created a hardware failure issue and I just
continued life with one DC.

Now, while upgrading I am returning to two DC's.

In a normal Bind9 "master and slave" setup the master always "feeds" the
slave.

With Bind9_DLZ setup (recommended to be used with Samba4) there is no
"master and slave" setup. This "master and slave" configuration is NOT
recommended for use in our (Samba4) situations and/or a Bind9_DLZ
configuration.

How does Bind9_DLZ "keep up" with each other (in a two AD DC
environment) when one of the DC's go "off line"? The second DC continues
to maintain the connections. When the first DC returns, how does it
"catch up" so to speak?

Probably been asked many, many times but I am finding conflicting info.

A brief explanation would be appreciated?