[Samba] CTDB and locking issues in 4.4.6 (Classic domain)

Alex Crow acrow at integrafin.co.uk
Fri Oct 21 18:16:47 UTC 2016

> *phew*! At least it's not a regression by the patches for bug 12005.

Hi Ralph,

Looking back through the changelogs suggests to me that it's been around
a long time....

I did however find it odd that even after disabling the 3rd host,
stopping ctdb everywhere  and removing *all* the db files (including
persistent) I still could reproduce on 4.4.5.

> Can you try to reproduce the issue with a specially patched smbclient?
> Attached patch modifies the smbclient open command to request deny
> read and write sharemodes, so any two opens should conflict:

Luckily I've realised that sernet has source packages so I'll be able to
rebuild the rpms and install individually. Can you tell me if the client
patch should be applied to 4.4.5 or 4.4.6 (or is valid for both)?

> smb: \> open test
> open file \test: for read/write fnum 1
>
> smb: \> open test
> Failed to open file \test. NT_STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION
>
> Without the patch the opens would succeed:
>
> smb: \> open test
> open file \test: for read/write fnum 1
> smb: \> open test
> open file \test: for read/write fnum 2
>
> If you can reproduce the issue with smbclient, please set loglevel to
> 10 on both nodes and reproduce the issue with smbclient. Reproducing
> the issue with smbclient instead of Excel reduces the noise and should
> make it easier to analyse.
>
> Please setup logging in a way so that we get per client logfiles, eg
> "log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log".

That is our existing logging method. We prefer to know which client is
misbehaving and it makes it easy to diagnose. I think it should be a
default!

> Cheerio!
> -slow

Many thanks for your help so far. I'd guess this might also affect
people like Rozo who market appliances with a similar focus to our
internal solution's aims (although we're using another distributed FS -
MooseFS). I don't think we're doing anything quirky - I fact I've
followed the wiki docs very closely.

I've been worrying about our FS but I even tested with "posix locking =
no" and had the same result, so given we pass ping-pong that would rule
that out, yes?

Cheerio to you too. I may be able to get this test done over the weekend
but I have a couple of kids to keep happy ;-)

I have pasted our test smb.conf (anonymised) after this in case I've
done something idiotic.

Cheers
Alex

[global]

        workgroup = MY_NET
        realm = samba.my.net
        netbios name = S4FILES
        security = ADS
        #bind interfaces only = yes
        #interfaces = eth0, lo
        #dedicated keytab file = /etc/krb5.keytab
        #kerberos method = secrets and keytab
        idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
        clustering = yes
        #private dir = /mfs/ctdb/private

   idmap config *:backend = tdb
   idmap config *:range = 200000-299999
   idmap config MY_NET:backend = ad
   idmap config MY_NET:default = yes
   idmap config MY_NET:schema_mode = rfc2307
   idmap config MY_NET:range = 500-199999

   idmap config ALEX:backend = rid
   idmap config ALEX:range = 300000-399999

   winbind nss info = rfc2307
   winbind trusted domains only = no
   winbind use default domain = yes
   winbind enum users  = yes
   winbind enum groups = yes
   winbind refresh tickets = Yes

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
valid users = %S
read only = no
browseable = no
path = /mfs/samba/home/%S

[test]
comment = test
path = /mfs/samba/test
read only = no
browseable = yes
oplocks = yes

.. other shares.. (most have oplocks = yes set, but other shares that
don't also suffer the issue

--
This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain
confidential information. Unless you are that person, you may not

"Transact" is operated by Integrated Financial Arrangements Ltd.
29 Clement's Lane, London EC4N 7AE. Tel: (020) 7608 4900 Fax: (020) 7608 5300.
(Registered office: as above; Registered in England and Wales under
number: 3727592). Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct
Authority (entered on the Financial Services Register; no. 190856).