[Samba] CTDB and locking issues in 4.4.6 (Classic domain)

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Fri Oct 21 09:45:35 UTC 2016

On Fri, 21 Oct 2016 10:34:07 +0100, Alex Crow via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> > Interestingly I have a setup here for testing for rollout of S4 AD.
> > The file servers are in an AD domain and are running Sernet 4.4.5, so
> > one version older than production. I have tested the locking on these
> > and it works. The only difference I can find that in prod,
> > /etc/default/sernet-samba-ctdb contains these lines:
> >
> > CTDB_MANAGES_SAMBA=yes
> > CTDB_MANAGES_WINBIND=yes
> >
> > Whereas in the test environment they are:
> > CTDB_SERVICE_WINBIND="sernet-samba-winbindd"
> > CTDB_SERVICE_SMB="sernet-samba-smbd"
> >
> > I'm wondering if this is what's making the difference?

> The above is not what I meant, apologies. In the prod cluster, these lines:
>
> CTDB_SERVICE_WINBIND="sernet-samba-winbindd"
> CTDB_SERVICE_SMB="sernet-samba-smbd"
>
> are actually absent. The CTDB_MANAGES_... ones are the same on both setups.

I'm guessing that's it.  Instead of running the Sernet initscripts (or
systemd thingies), some other initscript is being run and it is
probably not making smbd use the correct configuration, so smbd is
probably running without clustering configured...

... but that's obviously just speculation!  I don't know anything about
the Sernet packages...

Possibly time to talk to someone at Sernet?

peace & happiness,
martin