[Samba] CTDB and locking issues in 4.4.6 (Classic domain)

Alex Crow acrow at integrafin.co.uk
Thu Oct 20 09:09:37 UTC 2016

Hi list

We recently upgraded our fileservers from Centos supplied 4.2.10 to
Sernet 4.4.6, and then our DCs from 3.6.x to 4.4.6.

It seems that since then we've had problems with locks not being obeyed
on all nodes - they only seem to work when a second client opens a file
on the same node as the first client.

For example, when a user opens an Excel file I will see something like
this with smbstatus -L:

1:30578      1608       DENY_WRITE 0x2019f     RDWR       NONE
/sharename path/foo.xls

This output is identical on all nodes, so smbstatus at least can see the
locks.

However if another client opens the same XLS file, they only get the
"This file is in use by <username>" if they happen to hit the same
server as the first user. If they happen to land on another server they
don't get this prompt, and if the original user modifies the file, when
they try to save their changes they get prompted whether they want to
overwrite. I'm sure we didn't have this issue before the upgrade.

CTDB status reports as OK on all nodes.

Our filesystem passes ping_pong in both read and read/write, data
increment behaving as expected.

We have a lot of users trying to edit Excel and Word docs (Office 2010)
so this is happening quite often.

Best regards,

Alex

--
This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain
confidential information. Unless you are that person, you may not

"Transact" is operated by Integrated Financial Arrangements Ltd.
29 Clement's Lane, London EC4N 7AE. Tel: (020) 7608 4900 Fax: (020) 7608 5300.
(Registered office: as above; Registered in England and Wales under
number: 3727592). Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct
Authority (entered on the Financial Services Register; no. 190856).