[Samba] Transferring FSMO Roles to Server 2008 R2 DC

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Oct 18 21:00:47 UTC 2016

On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 22:28:29 +0200
Marc Muehlfeld via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello Thomas,
>
> Am 18.10.2016 um 19:00 schrieb Thomas Maerz via samba:
> > As far as I know, there is no Wiki article for transferring
> > FSMO Roles to Server 2008 R2 DC.
>
> We have:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Transfering_and_Seizing_FSMO_Roles#Windows_FSMO_Role_Management

I wondered whether I should post something on this, never having tried
the code against a windows DC, I didn't know if it would work. I cannot
see any reason why it wouldn't work, after all, the changes are made in
AD. If it does work for the first 5 of the roles, it should work for
the other two and paraphrasing what it says in those annoying surface
ad's, you can't do that on a windows PC!

> > I would like to suggest a new wiki page be made for
> > transferring FSMO Roles to Server 2008/2008 R2 DC
> > specifically and have some notes to add to what is
> > present in the 2012 joining page.
> >
> > 1. RE: The SysVol replication section: Robocopy based sysvol
> > replication appears to only be for Samba4 —> Windows
> > DC SysVol Replication, so I don’t think it
> > is applicable if the FSMO is a Windows DC
>
> It's just a suggestion to use the DC with this role. You can use any
> other DC as well. It doesn't make sense to transfer the role for this.

Totally agree

> > 2. RE: The SysVol Share section: The SysVol share doesn’t
> > exist upon successful join of 2008/R2 DC, but the netlogon
> > share also does not exist and this is not
> > addressed in the article
>
> How is this related to FSMO roles?
> What is necessary to make the share appear?
>

> > 3. RE: FSMO Roles section: This section references Transferring
> > and seizing FSMO_Roles wiki article, which points to
> > https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/324801 to do
> > this the MS way.
> > This only addresses the first 5 roles shown in samba-tool
> > fsmo show. In order to move DomainDnsZonesMasterRole
> > and ForestDnsZonesMasterRole, the following steps are necessary:
>
> Isn't this something users find in Windows documentation? This is not
> something special caused by Samba.

As I said, this is something you can do on a Samba DC. but not on a
windows DC.

> I vote for not documenting things that are pure Windows and doesn't
> require anything special because of Samba behavior.

There shouldn't be anything on the Samba wiki that isn't directly or
indirectly relevant to Samba, anything purely about windows is
not relevant.

Rowland