[Samba] Transferring FSMO Roles to Server 2008 R2 DC

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Tue Oct 18 20:28:29 UTC 2016

Hello Thomas,

Am 18.10.2016 um 19:00 schrieb Thomas Maerz via samba:
> As far as I know, there is no Wiki article for transferring
> FSMO Roles to Server 2008 R2 DC.

We have:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Transfering_and_Seizing_FSMO_Roles#Windows_FSMO_Role_Management

> I would like to suggest a new wiki page be made for
> transferring FSMO Roles to Server 2008/2008 R2 DC
> specifically and have some notes to add to what is
> present in the 2012 joining page.
>
> 1. RE: The SysVol replication section: Robocopy based sysvol
> replication appears to only be for Samba4 —> Windows
> DC SysVol Replication, so I don’t think it
> is applicable if the FSMO is a Windows DC

It's just a suggestion to use the DC with this role. You can use any
other DC as well. It doesn't make sense to transfer the role for this.

> 2. RE: The SysVol Share section: The SysVol share doesn’t
> exist upon successful join of 2008/R2 DC, but the netlogon
> share also does not exist and this is not
> addressed in the article

How is this related to FSMO roles?
What is necessary to make the share appear?

> 3. RE: FSMO Roles section: This section references Transferring
> and seizing FSMO_Roles wiki article, which points to
> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/324801 to do
> this the MS way.
> This only addresses the first 5 roles shown in samba-tool
> fsmo show. In order to move DomainDnsZonesMasterRole
> and ForestDnsZonesMasterRole, the following steps are necessary:

Isn't this something users find in Windows documentation? This is not
something special caused by Samba.

I vote for not documenting things that are pure Windows and doesn't
require anything special because of Samba behavior.

Regards,
Marc