[Samba] Joining Samba workstation as a Domain Member - Which is the correct way?

Vasco Silva vasco.silva at caixamagica.pt
Tue Oct 18 13:57:49 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

In my environment I am running a Domain Controller, on ubuntu 16.04,
samba v 4.11.

My doubt is now on joining workstations to this domain. I was adding
joining the command "samba-tool domain join...", however, I found in the
samba page:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_Samba_as_an_AD_Domain_Member a
note to don't use samba-tool:
"

  The domain join

*_A note on provisioning_:*A Domain Member_must not_be provisioned by
using "samba-tool"! This would setup an AD DC on your Domain Member with
some parts turned off and writes to sam.ldb instead of passdb.tdb. Don't
use this way to join, to avoid unwanted side effects! The Domain Member
provisioning option will be removed in the future.

The following command will join the host to the domain and automatically
register/update its DNS record:

"

Which one is the correct way to join? Samba-tool or net ads join?

I was convinced that samba-tool was correct! The help shows explicity
the option to join as Domain member:

samba-tool domain join
Usage: samba-tool domain join <dnsdomain> [DC|RODC|MEMBER|SUBDOMAIN]
[options]

Could anyone please clarify this doubt? Which are the differences
between the comands?

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Vasco Silva