[Samba] samba with customized ldap backend

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Oct 16 09:07:20 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2016-10-04 at 18:07 +0530, Arun Gupta via samba wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have configured ldap with uid='some numeric' instead of
> uid=username

This seems like a really bad idea.

> like that;
>
> dn: uid=102220,ou=User,dc=example,dc=com
> uid: 102220

I can only imagine this causing much confusion.  Is this still the
posix username, just contining digits, or the kernel UID number?

The posix username just containing digits might work, but many parts of
linux assuming numeric usernames are uid valies, eg in config files).

When I went to uni (ANU in Canberra), they gave us logins with our
student number, but always s123456 (later u123456), but never without a
prefix.  I always suggest learning from the practice of others rather
than being the special case.

Andrew Bartlett