[Samba] Unknown User

Kyle Farmer bannereddivpool at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 18:23:06 UTC 2016

We have been having this issue for awhile now with excel.  When a user
opens the file saves and closes the file.  Another user opens that file it
is causing some lock issues.

If user1 saves the files and then user2 opens the file it will tell any
other person trying to get into that file that it's locked for editing by
user1.  Oddly enough that person trying to get into these files 90% of the
time is... user1 which confuses them tremendously.  Is there a way to set
samba up so that it can state "another user"?  I know the old 2003 office
did this and it worked great.  People waited and kept trying.

I've been doing a lot of research into this issue and have applied hotfixes
to Office 2010 hoping this would be the fix.  Unfortunately I'm running out
of google space :)

Thanks.