[Samba] Unable to set up home share correctly

Udo Willke udo.willke at freenet.de
Fri Oct 14 15:52:33 UTC 2016

> On Fri, 14 Oct 2016 16:01:14 +0200
> Udo Willke via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> Am 14.10.2016 um 15:04 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:

>>> I could have sworn you mentioned a 2012 server,
>> No problem
>>> so if you are
>>> authenticating the fileserver to a Samba AD DC, did you provision
>>> the DC with '--use-rfc2307' ?
>> Yes, I did. From my shell history
>>
>> samba-tool domain provision  --use-rfc2307 --function-level=2008_R2
>> --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ --host-name=addc01 --realm=MYDOMAIN.LAN
>> --domain=MYDOMAIN --server-role='dc' --
>> adminpass='*******************'
>>
>>> Not a problem if you didn't, see here:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_RFC2307_in_AD#Installing_NIS_extensions
>>>
>>> The 'Administrator' is always a member of 'Domain Admins'
>>>
>>> Did you remember to add the 'user.map' line to smb.conf ?
>>    Yes I did, but had a typo in the real domain name .... and this was
>> the problem :-[
>>
>> Now I have access to the share configuration :-)
>>
>> What's a little confusing:
>> "Share Permsissions" has the "Everyone" account already filled in
>> with "Full Control".
>> "Security" has "Everyone", "root", "ERSTELLER-BESITZER" (Creator
>> Owner), ERSTELLERGRUPPE (Creator Group) and "Domain Admins" accounts
>> already filled in
>>
>> ---> What would you suggest? Remove all unwanted accounts first an
>> then follow the wiki? I remember trouble started when I removed the
>> "Everyone" account.
>>
>> Extended attributes on [home] look like this at this point
>>
>> root at fileserver2:/var/log/samba# LANG=en_US
>> getfacl /var/share/samba/homes/ getfacl: Removing leading '/' from
>> absolute path names # file: var/share/samba/homes/
>> # owner: root
>> # group: MYDOMAIN\134domain\040admins
>> user::rwx
>> group::rwx
>> other::r-x
>>
>> BTW: On this server, I changed the id ranges to more modest values
>>
>> root at fileserver2:/var/log/samba# grep idmap /etc/samba/smb.conf
>>       ;; Default idmap config used for BUILTIN and local
>> accounts/groups idmap config * : backend = tdb
>>       idmap config * : range = 2000-9999
>>       ;; idmap config for domain MYDOMAIN
>>       idmap config MYDOMAIN : backend = ad
>>       idmap config MYDOMAIN : schema_mode = rfc2307
>>       idmap config MYDOMAIN : range = 10000-99999
>>
> Are you following this wiki page ?
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Shares_with_Windows_ACLs

Yes, the page is linked in the "Preparatory work" section of the "User
home drives" page <https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_home_drives>

However it is not very specific as to what permissions should actually
be configured: "Go to the "Security" tab, click the "Edit" button and
configure the desired Windows ACLs".

> Also, when you changed the ranges in smb.conf, have you changed th
> uidNumber & gidNumber attributes in AD ?

Not necessary in my opinion as I only modified the "overkill" range of
the * domain (100000 -  2^32 -1) .

BTW: There is no range checking in the code. I started with 2^32 =
4294967296 as the upper limit and the mapping didn't work at all.
Discovered later in the logs the range was parsed into "range 100000-0".

Two questions:

1) Do you agree with the directions given by L.P.H. van Belle: Create
new user "Admin" and remove all the already filled in accounts (much
like in the screenshot on the
<https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Shares_with_Windows_ACLs> page?

2) Can you elaborate on this?

I have removed the rfc2307-IDs now. I guess going to the "Unix
Attributes" tab in ADUC and setting "NIS Domain" to "none" is
sufficient?

--> No, it should show your domain name.

Hmm, the "NIS Domain" setting is a drop-down menu. When I choose
mydomain (in lower case this time) a UID Number is automatically
assigned, when I choose <none> the fields are greyed out. So "no
uidNumber" and "should show your domain name" don't work at the same
time. Or should I choose mydomain and delete the remaining field
entries?

Thanks a lot an best regards

Udo