[Samba] Unable to set up home share correctly

Udo Willke udo.willke at freenet.de
Fri Oct 14 12:32:52 UTC 2016

Hello Rowland,

> It sounds like you don't have IDMU installed, not sure if you can
> install it on 2012.

are you trying to say that I should install "Identity Management for
Unix" on a Windows Server 2012? If yes, I am afraid we have a
misunderstanding here: I don't use any Windows Server in my set-up.

I use a Fileserver with two network interfaces, one connected to a
private network, the other connected to our university network. A Samba
AD DC is supposed to manage a small Windows Domain in the private net.
The fileserver also serves as a gateway to the Windows 7 workstations in
the private net. Fileserver and AD DC are both running ubuntu 16.04 and
have the respective Samba packages installed. For testing I have set up
two Windows 7 Instances on ESXi inside the private net, one with the
RSAT Tools installed and one as a user PC.

Update: I spent the morning setting up a fresh member server
("FILESERVER2") for testing inside the private net (with 1 NIC only,
thereby reducing complexity) I think, I have made all the necessary
steps and did not forget to grant the SeDiskOperatorPrivilege rights to
the Domain Admins

root at fileserver2:/var/log/samba# net rpc rights list 'MYDOMAIN\Domain
Admins' -U'MYDOMAIN\Administrator' -S addc01
Enter MYDOMAIN\Administrator's password:
SeDiskOperatorPrivilege

Now I'm stuck in the RSAT Computer Management Console where I am denied
access to the share configuration. On the navigation tree in the left
window "Local users and groups" is shown as locked (and I remember this
went only away after I assigned a uidNumber to the Adminstrator account
and made it a member of the Domain Admins Unix Group). Can't tell if
this is a useful hint.

Best Regards

Udo