[Samba] Joining a Windows Server 2008 R2 to existing Samba4 domain

Chris Alavoine chrisa at acs-info.co.uk
Fri Oct 14 09:53:15 UTC 2016

Hi all,

A bit of back story.

A few years back we upgraded our Samba3 domain to Samba4 using the
classicupgrade method. After a few stumbles we got there and now have 9
DC's globally all running 4.5.0.

We dropped the ball when naming our domain and now need to change it. This
has led me down the path of attempting to join a Windows Server 2008 R2
machine as a DC and then run the RENDOM tool from there.

Unfortunately, I'm having trouble getting past the first hurdle of joining
a Windows server to the domain. I have a test rig which I'm working on and
have tried various different methods. Some have ended with the Windows
Server almost becoming a DC but DNS replication (Forest and Domain) have
never worked. Occasionally things just get stuck when replicating the
Configuration over.

I have followed this doc to the letter:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Windows_Server_2008_/_2008_R2_DC_to_a_Samba_AD

but have never managed to get full replication working.

Could this be because I'm coming from a classicupgrade? Has anyone else out
there managed to get this working?

Thanks,
Chris.

--