[Samba] Unable to set up home share correctly

Udo Willke udo.willke at freenet.de
Thu Oct 13 12:48:57 UTC 2016

Hello Rowland,

thank you for your swift reply. I made the modifications you suggested,
which unfortunately did not better the situation. No change as to the
"Creator Owner" rights and the Administrator account still shown as
locked. Also, I couldn't spot any suspicious messages in the Samba
logfiles besides maybe

get_referred_path: |profiles| in dfs path
\fileserver.mydomain.lan\profiles is not a dfs root.
get_referred_path: |home| in dfs path \fileserver.mydomain.lan\home is
not a dfs root.

My test users have uidNumbers und gidNumbers defined. I found this nifty
command to list them

root at fileserver:/var/log/samba# net ads search
'(|(uidNumber=*)(gidNumber=*))' sAMAccountName uidNumber gidNumber -P
Got 15 replies

sAMAccountName: Enterprise Read-Only Domain Controllers
gidNumber: 10005

sAMAccountName: Administrator
uidNumber: 10000
gidNumber: 10000

sAMAccountName: Enterprise Admins
gidNumber: 10004

sAMAccountName: workgroup-1
gidNumber: 10010

sAMAccountName: Users
gidNumber: 10008

sAMAccountName: DnsAdmins
gidNumber: 10006

sAMAccountName: kbudwi
uidNumber: 10002
gidNumber: 10001

sAMAccountName: kbmamu
uidNumber: 10004
gidNumber: 10001

sAMAccountName: Guest
uidNumber: 10001
gidNumber: 10000

sAMAccountName: Schema Admins
gidNumber: 10003

sAMAccountName: Administrators
gidNumber: 10007

sAMAccountName: Domain Admins
gidNumber: 10000

sAMAccountName: Domain Users
gidNumber: 10001

uidNumber: 10003
gidNumber: 10001
sAMAccountName: kbanre

sAMAccountName: Domain Guests
gidNumber: 10002

I can list those users and groups on the member server using "getent
passwd" and "getent group".

What else could be wrong? My impression is that samba and winbind caches
a lot of information. Should I start over with the member server?

BTW: I rebooted the server after making the changes - just to be sure.

Thanks in advance an best regards

Udo