[Samba] samba with customized ldap backend

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Oct 13 11:56:12 UTC 2016

On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 13:45:45 +0200
mathias dufresne <infractory at gmail.com> wrote:

> <samba at lists.samba.org>:
>
> > On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 15:06:08 +0200
> > mathias dufresne <infractory at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > As SSSD seems to work with others tools (SSH, SMTP auth...), as
> > > the OP doesn't described his error very clearly, I do think you
> > > can't say the error is SSSD for sure. You can expect the error is
> > > from SSSD, you can even be sure of that. But as this error is not
> > > clear, how dare be so sure?
> > >
> > > For 'we do not know, ask sssd' I'm not included in that "we".
> > > When I don't know, most generally I try to learn.
> > >

> > When I said 'we' I meant the Samba team. sssd is not a part of
> > Samba, so whilst it is possible to use it with Samba, Samba does
> > not know all the nuances of using it, so hence, ask sssd-users for
> > help with it.
> >

> There are here other people than Samba team. Some could be interested
> in that issue, now or later, because they have the issue or because
> they want to learn something. That's the point of open source:
> sharing. Sharing the source, ok, but sharing the knowledge too.

No problem with sharing information about Samba here, because it is a
Samba mailing list, but sssd is different. It, like Samba, is a rapidly
moving target and to ensure you get the correct cure to a problem, you
should ask in the correct place. For sssd, this is the sssd-users
mailing list. You wouldn't ask on the Postfix mailing list about
setting up and configuring LDAP, so why ask on here about sssd ??

Rowland