[Samba] samba with customized ldap backend

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Oct 12 12:34:38 UTC 2016

On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 14:16:12 +0200
mathias dufresne <infractory at gmail.com> wrote:

> As he wrote that SSH and SMTP auth and others stuffs are working, I
> would say SSSD should work.
> As he wrote there is an issue with Samba, I'd like to understand how
> he is using Samba, what is the exact error and what he's doing to get
> that error.
>
> Samba should be able to live with other tools. We should be able to
> able to speak here about Samba working with other tools. But that
> certainly is because I'm sometimes radical in what represent open
> source world to me.

I have nothing against sssd, but Samba recommends using winbind instead.

This problem is very likely to be an sssd problem, users with numbers
instead of names work with winbind:

rowland at devstation:~$ getent passwd samdom\\102220
102220:*:10011:10000:102220:/home/102220:/bin/false

This is, of course, on AD, but the principal is the same, so the
question must be 'why doesn't this work with sssd' and the answer will
be 'we do not know, ask sssd'

Rowland