[Samba] samba4 with external OpenLDAP

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Oct 12 08:59:46 UTC 2016

On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 10:10:37 +0200
Stanislav Kopp via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> at the moment we are using samba 3.6.6 as pure fileserver  on Debian
> Wheezy with external company-wide OpenLDAP as "passdb backend"
> (ldapsam). We want to use Debian Jessie, which have samba4 in stock,
> unfortunately out setup doesn't work with Samba4 anymore
> (NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL)
>
> I've read somewhere that Samba4 only works with internal LDAP server,
> is it correct? Does it mean, our setup with just using Samba as
> fileserver (SMB) with external OpenLDAP ist no more possible?
>
> Thanks.
> Stan

If you set up Samba as an AD DC, you can only use the builtin LDAP at
the moment, though there is some work being done to allow the use of
OpenLDAP.

You can still use OpenLDAP with Samba 4 for anything else (PDC, BDC,
Standalone server etc).

If you cannot get your fileserver to work, we are going to need more
info, what OS, what Samba version, your smb.conf etc

Rowland