[Samba] Samba 4.3.11 on FreeBSD-10.3 - Firefox problem on Win7Pro

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Tue Oct 11 18:56:38 UTC 2016

We have recently converted our users from a Windows2000Advanced Server
AD-DC to a Samba-4.3.11. AD-DC.  For the most part this went very
well, saving only for the degree of ignorance respecting things
MicroSoft evidenced by myself.

However, one of our users persistently reports difficulties with their
roaming profile. Specifically, their Firefox profile.  This did not
occur before the change-over and I very much doubt that it is
specifically a FF issue since no-one else is encountering it.

We use folder redirection with everyone having their Documents folder
mapped to the USERS samba share on the same host as the AD-DC
samba_server service.  I once believed that this included AppData but
I discovered that AppData is actually maintained on the PROFILES
share.

In any case the symptom is that FF stops responding to javascript
calls and generally slows down to an unacceptable degree.  We are
talking minutes to load a web page. To remediate this condition I have
resorted to removing the user's default profile and recreating it from
scratch importing their bookmarks from a backup and adding back in
their extensions.  Both these items are fairly large.  There are
approximately 300 bookmarks and about a dozen Addons.  However, none
of the user's addons are outside the usual for our firm and I myself
have all the ones on the user's profile and many more besides.  And I
do not encounter these problems.

Once the profile is reinitialised FF behaves normally for several days
and then degrades again.  I am suspicious that there is some problem
relating to the roaming profiles but other than a vague suspicion I
have nothing to go on.  My question is: how does one go about
determining if the problem is with FF itself or with some aspect of
roaming shares?

Canada  L8E 3C3