[Samba] Joining a Samba DC to Existing AD question

Bob of Donelson Trophy bob at donelsontrophy.net
Mon Oct 10 18:59:31 UTC 2016

On 2016-10-10 08:33, Marc Muehlfeld via samba wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> Am 10.10.2016 um 13:18 schrieb Bob of Donelson Trophy via samba:
>
>> I noticed the "Joining a Samba DC to an Existing Active Directory" wiki
>> page was updated yesterday (October 9, 2016.)
>
> yes, I'm currently doing a lot of major updates, rewrites, enhancements,
> and so on. :-)
>
>> Under "Preconditions" header, the third bullet point is "If Samba is
>> already configured on this host, remove any existing configuration and
>> databases." Well, "configuration" is start forward, meaning the smb.conf
>> file but, what "databases" is the statement referring to?
>
> Thanks for mentioning this. I updated the text and added examples.
>
> If you are currently using the guide to join a new DC, please let me
> know if the new version raises further questions or is unclear.
>
> Regards,
> Marc

Last week I joined a second DC to my first and all seemed to go well.
(Turned it off until I had more time.)

This last weekend I moved fsmo roles to the second and demoted the first
DC per Samba Wiki instructions. At the time did not know anything about
protecting (lack of a better choice of words) any Samba databases. So
far, everything seems to be working okay. I'll check log files better
this evening.

Not having done anything with the "databases", is there some specific
problem I should be looking for?