[Samba] Naming conventions with samba4 & AD with computer with "_"

Trenta sis trenta.sis at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 17:25:31 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm evaluating to migrate samba 3 domain to samba 4 with AD, but our
environment contains dns names with "_", and in samba wiki appears
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/909264 that you can't use dns names
with "_"

Disallowed charactersDNS host names cannot contain the following characters:

   - comma (,)
   - tilde (~)
   - colon (:)
   - exclamation point (!)
   - at sign (@)
   - number sign (#)
   - dollar sign ($)
   - percent (%)
   - caret (^)
   - ampersand (&)
   - apostrophe (')
   - period (.)
   - parentheses (())
   - braces ({})
   - *underscore (_)*
   - white space (blank)

The underscore has a special role, as it is permitted for the first
character in SRV records by RFC definition, but newer DNS servers may also
allow it anywhere in a name. For more details, see:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc959336.aspx.
I have tested samba 3 to samba 4 and seems that computer objectes with "_"
are migrated and we can add dns A with "_"

I have tried to add a cname with "_" and seems thats wokrs, but I'm not
sure If really I can user "_" in computer names and dns names or this
requires to be replaces by "-" befores upgrade...

It is required to rename machiens with "_" and dns A and cname with "_" to
"-", for example... ?

Thanks