[Samba] Mac OS Timemachine over SMB

samba.sambasnowman at spamgourmet.com samba.sambasnowman at spamgourmet.com
Sun Oct 9 23:09:13 UTC 2016

Is it possible to backup Mac OS devices through a Samba share on Samba
4.4.6 on Fedora 24 with Time Machine? I am able to successfully advertise
the share through Avahi, connect to it in Finder, and read/write files. I
am also able to see the share as a destination in Time Machine, but
selecting it shows an error that "The selected network backup disk does not
support the required capabilities. Please choose another network backup
disk."

>From my understanding of the Apple documentation found here, I think that
the current version of Samba satisfies most of the requirements with
vfs_fruit but I would appreciate some confirmation:
https://developer.apple.com/library/content/releasenotes/NetworkingInternetWeb/Time_Machine_SMB_Spec/
.

- AAPL Create Context extension with F_FULLSYNC (I believe this is
supported by vfs_fruit)
- SMB2_CREATE_DURABLE_HANDLE_REQUEST_V2
- SMB2_CREATE_REQUEST_LEASE_V2

Below is a copy of my SMB configuration (I stood up a VM for testing with
only one share due to a warning in the vfs_fruit documentation about mixing
shares with and without vfs_fruit):
[global]
        workgroup = SAMBA
        security = user