[Samba] member server nslookup

Bob of Donelson Trophy bob at donelsontrophy.net
Sun Oct 9 12:51:56 UTC 2016

I just transfered fsmo roles from one DC to my newer DC and all went
well. Thank you Samba team!! Great documentation, BTW.

My domain (basically) consists of one ADDC, one member server and two
W10 clients and one W7 client.

While setting up the newer DC had been running some nslookup on the DC's
and decided to run nslookup on my member server and do not know if I
have discovered and possible problem or not.

On the member server, running nslookup returns:

root at dtmbr01:~# nslookup dtmbr01
Server:        192.168.16.49
Address:    192.168.16.49#53

Name:    dtmbr01.dtshrm.dt
Address: 192.168.16.53         <<<< note: this is the member server ip
address

root at dtmbr01:~# nslookup 192.168.16.53
Server:        192.168.16.49
Address:    192.168.16.49#53

** server can't find 53.16.168.192.in-addr.arpa.: NXDOMAIN

Does this mean I need to add reverse dns for the member server to the
DC?