[Samba] Ctdb and mdb

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Thu Oct 6 23:37:23 UTC 2016

On Thu, 6 Oct 2016 20:19:15 +0000, Jesus via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> We have installed a two node ctdb cluster using glusterfs it works
> fine, but we want that the users be able to find the server in the
> network section of windows explorer.

> We are using fedora 23 and nmb doesn't start with ctdb i tried the
> following change in /etc/ctdb/events.d/50.samba
>
> *)
>                 # Use redhat style as default:
>                 CTDB_SERVICE_SMB=${CTDB_SERVICE_SMB:-smb}
>                 CTDB_SERVICE_NMB=${CTDB_SERVICE_NMB:-nmb}
>                 ;;
> esac

In older Red Hat based distributions, nmbd was started by the smb
initscript.  smb.conf controlled whether it should be started.  It
looks like this has changed.

Note that you don't need to edit 50.samba to accomplish the above.
You can just add CTDB_SERVER_NMB=nmb to the CTDB configuration.

> and nmb started but in the windows explorer appeared two nodes one
> with the shared ip and the other with its own ip. and both with the
> linux hostname
>
> I believe only one node should appear with the shared ip and a
> hostname configurable somewhere isn't it?
>
> How can I accomplish this?

You could add firewall rules to block the relevant port(s) for the
static IP address(es).

Given that you have mentioned a "shared ip" it sounds like you are
running you cluster as active/passive.  One of the advantages of
Samba+CTDB is that you can run an all-active cluster with multiple
public IP addresses.

Good luck!

peace & happiness,
martin