[Samba] help with permissions

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Thu Oct 6 00:46:23 UTC 2016

Hi, i have a rather weird and also problematic use case.

My NAS provides permissions but I don't know how.

The share is mounted using unix extensions and I am seeing user IDs.
However my /local/ filesystem refuses me to allow to do anything unless
I am root or set the noperms flag (ostensibly).

This means that locally write access is denied but not remotely.

The local user is UID 1000. The logged in user is 1000002. The file
*always* shows as rwxr-xr-x.

Whether the file is remotely owned by 1000, 1026 or 1000002 doesn't make
a difference.

So: locally I am the owner if remotely it is owned by 1000. Locally I am
in a group that remotely has write access. The file (directory) still
shows as r-w for group no matter what I do (thus far) and maybe I just
don't know how it works. It is made more difficult because Synology does
its own permissions game so I can try to with different mount options
but yeah. Apparently group write access for my logged in user (that
should have it) is apparently not communicated but even if it were I
doubt my system would allow writing. Maybe I should force the mode but I
don't know if that is possible. I already have rwx mode for a file that
should get recognised as having me as the owner (both locally as
remotely but obviously not at the same time). So Linux permissions is
biting me again, a Windows user would never have this problem.

How on earth can I not get write access locally if even the display from
ls shows me as having access?

The file clearly shows as 755 AND it is owned by me.

I have now tried with nomapposix and noacl as well. The moment I say
"noperm" it works.

The Syno thing actually works flawlessly on that local system.

I really don't know, maybe I should just patch the thing to introduce a
new option "nogperm" that assumes writing is okay if the group matches a
group of the local user. I think this thing is broken anyway.

With all the complexity of the samba product itself, it seems the kernel
module is often the thing that is most shabby.

Does anyone have any ideas here?