[Samba] winbindd losing track of RFC2307 UIDs

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Oct 4 13:43:52 UTC 2016

On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 15:16:17 +0200
Achim Gottinger via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Am 04.10.2016 um 10:21 schrieb Rowland Penny:
> > On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 02:35:21 +0200
> > Achim Gottinger via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> >> Been having this issue on an dc after i updated from 4.1 to 4.2. It
> >> turned out some users with defined uid also had mappings from
> >> winbind in idmap.tdb. At firt the uid attributre gets used but
> >> afetr a while the value fromidmap.tdb was used. The fix was to
> >> delete the mappings in idmap.tdb.
> >> On an member server you can use net idmap set/get/dump to test
> >> this.
> >>
> > You are missing the fact that the OP is using the REALM name
> > instead of the NETBios domain name and for some reason winbind is
> > starting to allocate the user a UID from the '*' range.
> >
> > Rowland
> It's jumping from using rfc uid's gid's in ad to the "*" range. Would
> it dynamic assign from the ad range it would still be an error.

If you look at the smb.conf the OP posted, you will find the ranges are
set to:

idmap config *:range = 2000-9999
idmap config MY.AD.REALM.COM:range = 10000-99999

His user 'auser' intially has this 'uid=10028', it then changes to
'uid=2018'

I do not really understand how he got the first as the second 'idmap
config' line is wrong, the user should have had the second id all the
time, because the user is outside the domain 'MYDOMAIN'.

'10028' is inside the second range, but shouldn't have been used
because the DOMAIN name is wrong.
'2018' is inside the range set for '*' i.e. everything outside the
DOMAIN

Rowland