[Samba] winbindd losing track of RFC2307 UIDs

Jonathan Hunter jmhunter1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 23:58:50 UTC 2016

Sounds possibly related to an issue I had previously (although mine
was the other way round - it didn't work reliably when the machine was
a DC; but has been better since I commissioned a separate DC). I had
mappings working fine for ages, then all of a sudden they would jump
back and I would have to run "net cache flush". Unfortunately I never
got it resolved, I just worked around it..

The (long!) thread from my previous issue is here, if it's of any use:
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2015-November/195639.html

On 3 October 2016 at 17:57, Rob via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been experiencing an intermittent problem where some UIDs on a member
> server spontaneously change from being their AD-derived values to being
> allocated from the default idmap space, even when there is no change to the
> AD user information.
>
> Specifically, I have a member server running Samba 4.4.5 on CentOS 6.8.
> AD service is provided by two Samba 4.4.5 servers.
>
> The member server's smb.conf has (in part):
>
> [global]
>         netbios name = memberserver
>         security = ADS
>         workgroup = MYDOMAIN
>         realm = MY.AD.REALM.COM
>         server role = member server
>
>         interfaces = em1 127.0.0.1
>         bind interfaces only = yes
>
>         idmap config *:backend = tdb
>         idmap config *:range = 2000-9999
>
>         # idmap config for domain
>         idmap config MY.AD.REALM.COM:backend = ad
>         idmap config MY.AD.REALM.COM:schema_mode = rfc2307
>         idmap config MY.AD.REALM.COM:range = 10000-99999
>
>         # Use template settings for login shell and home directory
>         winbind nss info = template
>         template shell = /bin/bash
>         template homedir = /home/%U
>
>         winbind use default domain = yes
> [...]
>
> This generally works fine... user mappings are like:
>
> $ wbinfo -i auser
> auser:*:10028:10000:User Name:/home/auser:/bin/bash
> $ id auser
> uid=10028(auser) gid=10000(agroup) groups=10000(agroup),10007(othergroup)
>
> After a while (generally a couple days, though sometimes much sooner), this
> starts happening:
>
> $ wbinfo -i auser
> auser:*:2018:10000:User Name:/home/auser:/bin/bash
> $ id auser
> uid=2018(auser) gid=10000(agroup) groups=10000(agroup),10007(othergroup)
>
> and this persists until I do "net cache flush" on the member!
>
> Any thoughts on why the winbindd cache is getting corrupted?  I tried
> running winbindd with log level 7, but nothing jumped out at me: just normal
> queries returning 10028 and then normal queries returning 2018. Other
> suggestions to try?
>
> Thanks!
> -Rob
>
> PS. At one point in the past, this member server was also a DC and this
> problem never happened then.
>
> --

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called
research, would it?"
      - Albert Einstein