[Samba] Share 'IPC$' has wide links and unix extensions enabled

Thomas Schulz schulz at adi.com
Mon Oct 3 17:51:27 UTC 2016

> On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 12:14:44 -0400 (EDT)
> schulz at adi.com (Thomas Schulz) wrote:

> > > It is set automatically, try reading 'man smb.conf'
> > >
> > > Rowland
> >
> > We have the following in our smb.conf file in the global section:
> >
> > unix extensions = no
> > wide links = yes
> >
> > Interesting that testparam does not show the setting for wide links
> > and I did not remember that we had that setting in smb.conf until I
> > went to edit smb.conf to add it.
> >
> > Reading the smb.conf man page, I don't see anything about a share IPC$
> > or anything to show why unix extensions would be automatically enabled
> > for any share when 'unix extensions = no' is set globally in smb.conf.
> > No other share generates any widelinks_warning messages, so I think
> > that the setting 'unix extensions = no' is working in general.
> >
> > Tom Schulz
> > Applied Dynamics Intl.
> > schulz at adi.com
>
> OK, according to 'man smb.conf', 'unix extensions = yes' is the default
> and if turned on 'wide links' will be disabled, but you have it set to
> 'no' and 'wide links' turned on.
>
> If you turn on wide links with 'unix extensions = yes', this is when
> you are supposed to get the message, but you are getting it with 'unix
> extensions = no'. I seem to remember this coming up before. Can you try
> setting 'allow insecure wide links = yes' and see if this stops the
> log message.
>
> Either way, it looks like a bug
>
> Rowland

I have not seen that error since setting 'allow insecure wide links = yes',
but the error did not occure constantly so I will keep checking the logs
for awhile.

I have found that share IPC$ only exists if security = domain. It is not
there with security = ads. I can map a share to IPC$, but all access is
denied. I will probably swtich this server over to security = ads
sometime soon.

Tom Schulz
Applied Dynamics Intl.
schulz at adi.com