[Samba] ldb-tools stand alone different than built-in?

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Mon Oct 3 17:39:13 UTC 2016

On Sun, 2 Oct 2016, Greg Zartman via samba wrote:

> I'm working with the Centos 7 packages for Samba 4.2.10 and I note that the
> stock packages don't include the ldb tools (eg, ldbmodify, ldbsearch, etc).
>
> However, the stand along tools don't seem to be aware of the Active
> Directory schema.   For example, if I try to use these tools to add an
> attribute to the Active Directory schema using :  --option="dsdb:schema
> update allowed"=true'
>
> The stand alone tools say they don't know that this --options input means.
>
> Is there a difference syntax for these stand alone tools?

The standalone tools (as packaged by CentOS) don't have all of the
extensions that are built when you build a Samba DC.  If you have already
rebuilt CentOS Samba packages with DC support, you need to add samba's ldb
modules to ldb's module path.

$ ldbadd --help | grep -- --option
$
(no results)

$ export LDB_MODULES_PATH="/usr/lib64/samba/ldb/"
$ ldbadd --help | grep -- --option
   --option=name=value                         Set smb.conf option from command
(results!)

BTW, the help output is over twice as long when it finds samba's ldb
module path, it contains quite a few additional commands.