[Samba] GID mappings of built-in groups when addin additional dc

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Oct 2 11:21:49 UTC 2016

On Sun, 2 Oct 2016 12:58:53 +0200
Achim Gottinger via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Am 02.10.2016 um 12:44 schrieb Achim Gottinger via samba:
> >

> > Am 02.10.2016 um 12:24 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:

> >> This is no longer required on any supported version of Samba, you
> >> just need to run 'samba-tool ntacl sysvolreset'
> >>
> >> Rowland
> > We discussed this a while back, back then you did not have the time
> > to compare your rsync setup.
> >
> > It is still required if you do not want to run sysvolreset after
> > each rsync of the sysvol folders
> If the mappings in idmap.tdb are not the same there will always be an
> small timeframe with incorrect access rights on sysvol.
> If an clients connects in this timeframe it may not have access to
> gpo's and scripts. Or even worse an attacker may have unwanted access
> rights on the sysvol share.

There is some validity in what you say, there is a slight risk, but it
is a small one.
osync has the facilty to run scripts before and after the sync, I
suppose you could run a script before the sync that took the DC
offline, synced sysvol, then ran another script after the sync that
reset sysvol and then puts the DC back on line. That way there would be
no risk at all.

Rowland