[Samba] slow directory access, convert_string_internal: Conversion error: Incomplete multibyte sequence

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 21:35:47 UTC 2016

I think the issue may be related to the broken trusts.        First of
all only two people had specifically reported issues which meant for
most people it was acceptable.   Then I noticed that some directories
seemed slower than others.

If I ssh'd into the server and checked permissions, listing permissions
on most directories was quick (under 2 second.)  On directories that
allowed access to trusted domain members (e.g. "Research") listing
permissions might take 30 seconds.     The unix uid numbers   10157 and
10172  shd resolve to users from the trusted domain but can't.

Solaris ZFS file systems supports ACL's  similar to windows in the sense
that not limited to a single user and single group.

# ls -lvd /Pool1/Department/Sales
drwxrwx---+ 13 jsmith      sales            48 Nov 29 18:58
/Pool1/Department/Sales
      0:user:nobody:read_xattr/read_attributes/read_acl:allow
      1:user:root:read_xattr/read_attributes/read_acl:allow
2:group@:list_directory/read_data/add_file/write_data/add_subdirectory
/append_data/read_xattr/write_xattr/execute/delete_child
/read_attributes/write_attributes/delete/read_acl/write_acl
          /write_owner/synchronize:allow
3:owner@:list_directory/read_data/add_file/write_data/add_subdirectory
/append_data/read_xattr/write_xattr/execute/delete_child
/read_attributes/write_attributes/delete/read_acl/write_acl
          /write_owner/synchronize:allow

# ls -lvd  /DataPool1/Dept/Research/
drwxr-xr-x+  4 jsmith  research       5 Jun  6 15:05
/Pool1/Department/Research
0:everyone@:list_directory/read_data/read_xattr/execute/read_attributes
          /read_acl:allow
1:owner@:list_directory/read_data/add_file/write_data/add_subdirectory
/append_data/read_xattr/write_xattr/execute/delete_child
/read_attributes/write_attributes/delete/read_acl/write_acl
          /write_owner:file_inherit/dir_inherit:allow
2:group@:list_directory/read_data/read_xattr/execute/read_attributes
          /read_acl:file_inherit/dir_inherit:allow
3:group:group_leaders:list_directory/read_data/read_xattr/execute
/read_attributes/read_acl:file_inherit/dir_inherit:allow
4:user:10157:list_directory/read_data/read_xattr/execute/read_attributes
          /read_acl:file_inherit/dir_inherit/no_propagate:allow
      5:user:10162:list_directory/read_data/add_file/write_data
/add_subdirectory/append_data/read_xattr/write_xattr/execute
/delete_child/read_attributes/write_attributes/delete/read_acl
          :file_inherit/dir_inherit/no_propagate:allow
      6:group:15001:list_directory/read_data/read_xattr/execute
/read_attributes/read_acl:file_inherit/dir_inherit:allow

Clearing the invalid users seems to help.     Although even problem
directories, access on a 2nd try with in a minute would go faster.

Thanks for the help.