[Samba] Recommended DNS configuration on Domain Controllers causes share by IP name to fail

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Nov 30 16:37:41 UTC 2016

The hosts correction, here bit more explained.

>From the link : http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1912.txt

Read : 4.1 Boot file setup
      Translating 127.0.0.1 into "localhost.domain" can cause some
      software to connect back to the loopback interface when it didn't
      want to because "localhost" is not equal to "localhost.domain".

So changing the hosts file order for localhost is asking for problems in the long term.

> Why ? My feelings on this are, if you use another DC for dns for a DC,
> if the other DC is down, you will get problems, whereas if you use the
> DC for its dns, you only have one problem if the DC goes down.
Maybe i dont really get what your saying here.
But even if the fist dc is down, it uses the second, or third in nameserver in resolv.conf.

I just downed 2 out of 3 of my DC's.
Rebooted my computer, i can still login fine, ssh (kerberized), yes, a slowdown is noticed.  I added :    timeout:1  to resolv.conf to speed up resolving when a dc is down.
I do my maintainance on my DC's in office hours, nobody notice it. :-)

Greetz,

Louis