[Samba] Replication of permissions on AD Directory not automatic

Alex Crow acrow at integrafin.co.uk
Wed Nov 30 12:38:57 UTC 2016

On 16/11/16 14:17, Alex Crow via samba wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been testing Samba 4.5.1 extensively as an AD DC. We have 3 DC
> set up, and replication of users, groups, OUs, DNS etc has been
> working fine.
>
> However we wanted to add some custom attributes and a class to the
> schema (an assortment of string and numericalString) for our own
> purposes. This also worked fine (and the Schema replication worked),
> but some oddness happened when we wanted to restrict access to one of
> these attributes.
>
> The class was added to the "user" AD class as an auxiliary, and then
> the following procedure was used:
>
> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/320528
>
> To add anonymous access to the Public Information, Phone and Mail, and
> our additional attributes (excepting the restricted one). Then a deny
> ACL for "Everyone" and "Anonymous Logon" was added recursively for the
> restricted attribute at the root of the domain tree on descendent User
> objects.
>
> This seemed to work on the server that ADSI edit was connected to when
> tested with ldapsearch, but *not* on the other two DCs. They behaved
> as if no ACLs had been changed. When I connected ADSI edit to the
> other DCs I could see that the ACLs seemed to be present at the domain
> root, but were not propagating down the tree even though the inherit
> box was checked on subordinates.
>
> I had to do:
>
> samba-tool drs replicate s4-dc-01 s4-dc-02 DC=my,DC=ifa,DC=net
> --full-sync
>
> (where s4-dc-02 was the "working" DC) and all seemed to be fixed, both
> using ldapsearch and ADSI Edit.
>
> Is it a known issue that ACLs aren't completely replicated? Or is it
> that "custom" attributes cause problems with ACLs (even though they
> are applied as auxiliary to the "user" AD class.
>
> Otherwise everything is working 100% correctly (showrepl gives no
> errors).
>

> Cheers,
>
> Alex

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Regards,

Alex
--
This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain
confidential information. Unless you are that person, you may not

"Transact" is operated by Integrated Financial Arrangements Ltd.
29 Clement's Lane, London EC4N 7AE. Tel: (020) 7608 4900 Fax: (020) 7608 5300.
(Registered office: as above; Registered in England and Wales under
number: 3727592). Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct
Authority (entered on the Financial Services Register; no. 190856).