[Samba] Samba on Debian 8; NT4 domain, win10

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Nov 29 20:02:38 UTC 2016

On Tue, 29 Nov 2016 20:48:27 +0100
"Stefan G. Weichinger via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Am 2016-11-29 um 19:55 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:
>
> > You can use the DC as a fileserver, it is only for minor technical
> > reasons that it isn't recommended, amongst which is that you have
> > to use windows ACLs.
>
> that is really *good* news (I think ;-) )
> are there any pointers to what to consider?
>
> Do I simply add the shares to the generated smb.conf then?

It is a little bit more involved than that, but not much ;-)

Have a look here:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_an_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller#Using_the_Domain_Controller_as_a_File_Server

Any questions, just ask.

> >> So I have to
> >> deal with that without having to buy new hardware (the customer
> >> stopped understanding all the work around swapping server-hardware
> >> weeks ago). We talk small office here: ~25-30 PCs.
> >
> > Your DC should be able to easily deal with that amount of PCs
> > (provided it is a reasonable spec and not out of the ark ;-)
>
> no, it's a server bought this year, quadcore Xeon, 8 gigs of RAM,
> should be no problem ;-)

That's an understatement, I sort of expected some 3 or 4 year old dual
core system, which would have coped ;-)

Rowland