[Samba] Samba on Debian 8; NT4 domain, win10

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Nov 28 09:27:39 UTC 2016

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 09:49:31 +0100
"Stefan G. Weichinger via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Am 2016-11-26 um 20:50 schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger via samba:
>
> > Thanks for the hints, I already read the wiki, yes.
> > I will look at the users and groups next week then.
>
> attacked that now in a VM:
>
> cpied /var/lib/samba and /etc passwd over, did something like:
>
> # tree /usr/local/samba/
> /usr/local/samba/
> ├── dbdir
> │   ├── account_policy.tdb
> │   ├── gencache_notrans.tdb
> │   ├── group_mapping.tdb
> │   ├── passdb.tdb
> │   ├── schannel_store.tdb
> │   ├── secrets.tdb
> │   └── wins.dat
> └── etc
>     └── smb.PDC.conf
>
> It runs through OK mostly, things I wonder about are:
>
> * lines like:
>
> Ignoring group memberships of 'pl13'
> S-1-5-21-2940660672-4062535256-4144655499-2026: Unable to enumerate
> group memberships, (-1073741724,No such user)
>
> Do I have to have the users in /etc/passwd as well for the conversion?
>
> Asked differently:
>
> Does the classicupgrade change anythin in the running samba-config or
> not? Am I supposed to run it *on* the NT4-samba-PDC and just generate
> the new config first, then cp this generated config over into some
> test environment ... ?
>
> thanks, regards, Stefan

Have you read this:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Migrating_a_Samba_NT4_Domain_to_Samba_AD_%28Classic_Upgrade%29

Particularly this part:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Migrating_a_Samba_NT4_Domain_to_Samba_AD_%28Classic_Upgrade%29#Upgrading_on_a_new_server

Accepted practice is to test first in a test domain and then do it
again in production, once you know exactly what needs fixing in your
old setup (hopefully nothing)

The upgrade should read from ldap and the Samba databases,
not /etc/passwd & /etc/group

Rowland