[Samba] getent only displays local users & groups

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Nov 24 21:01:52 UTC 2016

On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 07:45:06 +1100
Henry <dercni at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Rowland.
>
> Have included the usermap for administrator and given domain users an
> ID in ADUC
>
> getent passwd & group still only displays the local accounts ?
>
> getent passwd administrator => nothing

Firstly 'getent passwd administrator' on a domain member shouldn't show
anything (it does on a Samba AD DC), remember it is now mapped to root.

If you run 'getent passwd <a username>' does this produce any output ?

By default, 'getent passwd' without a username will show nothing, you
will need to add these lines to smb.conf:

    winbind enum users = yes
    winbind enum groups = yes

I don't think you mentioned what OS you are using, but you will also
need a few extra packages installed, on debian based distros these are:

libnss-winbind and libpam-winbind

I also install libpam-krb5

Rowland