[Samba] Unable to add AD users to local groups

Robert Martel r.martel at csuohio.edu
Wed Nov 23 15:00:28 UTC 2016

> On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 16:13:50 -0500
> Robert Martel via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>

>> On 11/17/2016 02:42 PM, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

>>> You said 'local' group, a group can be a local group or a Samba
>>> group, it cannot be both.
>>>
>>    A Samba group local to the AD member server - not an Active
>> Directory group.
>> Sorry if I chose the incorrect term.
>>
> no problem, it just confused me and I am still confused ;-)
>
> How can you add a group to Samba on a joined domain member, but not to
> AD ??
>
> It might help if you posted the smb.conf from the domain member.
>
> Rowland

There is a UNIX group called "urbanweb"
urbanweb::104:

I create a group for samba's usage on the member server called urbanweb
as well.

net groupmap add rid=1209 ntgroup="urbanweb" unixgroup=urbanweb type=l

Than I add the AD users I want in that group

net sam addmem urbanweb ADDOMAIN\\1001362
Adding domain group member failed with NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

the addmem step is what is failing. saying the user does not exist.

This is happening on the machines running Samba 4.4.7 and Solaris 9.
Worked fine with Samba 3.6 series.  Samba 4.4.7 on Solaris 10 does not
show this issue.

Saw this in the log log.wb-ADDOMAN  this morning:
[2016/11/23 02:22:45.241517,  1]
../source3/libads/ldap_utils.c:93(ads_do_search_retry_internal)
   Reducing LDAP page size from 500 to 250 due to IO_TIMEOUT

[2016/11/23 09:37:53.389714,  1]
../source3/winbindd/winbindd_pam.c:1439(winbind_samlogon_retry_loop)
   winbind_samlogon_retry_loop: sam_logon returned ACCESS_DENIED. Maybe
the DC has Restrict NTLM set or the trust account password was changed
and we didn't know it. Killing connections to domain ADDOMAIN

[2016/11/23 09:37:56.758381,  1]
../source3/rpc_client/cli_pipe.c:421(cli_pipe_validate_current_pdu)
   ../source3/rpc_client/cli_pipe.c:421: Bind NACK received from host
ADDOMAIN-MAIN-III.csunet.csuohio.edu!

[2016/11/23 09:37:56.768962,  1]
../source3/rpc_client/cli_pipe.c:3316(cli_rpc_pipe_open_schannel_with_creds)
   cli_rpc_pipe_open_schannel_with_creds: rpc_pipe_bind failed with
error NT_STATUS_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED

The AD user CAN access Samba shares, I can su to an AD user, I can ssh
into the host as an AD user so authentication is working for nearly
everything else.

Robert M. Martel                 I met someone who looks a lot like you
System Administrator             She does the things you do
Levin College of Urban Affairs   But she is an IBM
Cleveland State University                           -Jeff Lynne
(216) 687-2214
r.martel at csuohio.edu