[Samba] Samba version upgrade!

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Nov 20 08:59:50 UTC 2016

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 17:32:38 -0500
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 2:24 PM, Rowland Penny via samba
> <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 21:42:47 +0200
> > Metin KoƧ via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>

> >> I love Samba.. I couldn't find a way to upgrade my AD DC
> >> "samba-4.4.7" to "samba-4.5.1" Why it is so complicated? I read
> >> alot and I did alot as well but AD is not working
> >>

> >> When I apply https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba AD is
> >> not working anymore with AD errors and DNS issues :(
> >>

> >> Just want to upgrade "samba-4.4.7 to samba-4.5.1" PLEASE HELP ME
> >> for an easy way to do it
> >>

> > It is fairly simple, you download the Samba tarball and unpack it.
> > you the 'cd' it the Samba dir created, run './configure', then
> > 'make'. Stop
>
> This is like a recipe on cooking rabbit stew that says "first, catch a
>  rabbit. Then cook it perfectly."

The recipe you are referring to is actually for jugged hare and starts
'First catch your hare'. This could be taken to be similar to 'download
the Samba tarball'

> It leaves out a lot of details, such as the various libraries and
> dependencies to *build* the tarball.

I went on to discuss these.

> > any running Samba binaries and then run 'make install'. This should
> > overwrite your existing Samba install, providing you use the same
> > './configure' options as you did with your previous install.
>
> And these are only available if you built them by hand, *on that
> host*, with the same environment, and haven't run into a single
> library that needs an upgrade or that isn't available for your
> distribution. The current example of this is "gnutls", which which is
> needed for full domain controller support and requres a versoin more
> recent than that on any default RHEL or CentOS system.

The OP said he was upgrading from 4.4.7, this version is (as far as
I am aware) not available from any distro, so it was a fairly good bet
he had compiled it himself.
As for 'gnutls', the OP is using Centos7 and he has now got his system
working, so perhaps you need to upgrade your OS ?

Rowland